Third Floor Rooms
The third floor of Edgemoor is home to twelve student rooms arranged in a “U,” with the main staircase, bathroom, and the chapter weight room/fitness center collected in the center. A secondary stairway leads from the west hallway down to the second floor, where there is an exit to an exterior walkway affording a view of the gorge and access to the Gorge Deck and to the emergency fire stair to the parking lot.
Five student rooms were added in the 2015 expansion: three carved out of the former dorm, which had been the chapter gym since 1995, and two in the new west wing. Aside from the new rooms, these suites are named to reflect their history and personality. Proceeding counterclockwise around the floor from the southeast corner, they are as follows:
|Room 311||311||The largest of the new student rooms, room 311 has windows to the east and south, encompassing an area that had been home to the chapter's climbing wall ca. 2001, and in earlier years, to Hollengreen’s Chair.|
|Room 309||309||Room 309, like its neighbors, enjoys a high ceiling that extends to the rafters, and a pleasant view to the woods just to the east of the house. Directly across the hall is the east entrance to the gym.|
|Room 307||307||Room 307, the first suite carved out of the old dorm, steals some space that had been the closet of The Lounge, next door. It has been fitted with pipes for conversion to a bathroom in Phase II of the renovation project.|
|The Lounge||305||The Lounge, which had taken that name by the mid-1980s, was a favorite room for brothers to smoke in, perhaps owing to its residents, and perhaps to the analog cable box and Betamax VCR that afforded vintage entertainment.|
|The Cave||303||The Cave suffers from being on northeastern corner of the house; what little light it receives is filtered further through its small third floor window. Furthermore, the main section of the room is separated from the rest of the floor by a hallway. Notably, Bennett H. Myers '94 O-1468 and Andrew I. Rosenberg '93 O-1470 built a loft against the eastern wall. Writes Bro. Rosenberg, “the room survived fire-coding, the room contained a loft positioned at the eastern end wall of the room. Bennett, who slept on a mattress on the floor below the loft, placed a sheet to obscure any ongoings below the loft, and his bed-area was designated as the ‘Cave.’… The long hallway leading to the main room resembled the entrance to a cavern, and thus the room’s name followed suit.”|
|614||301||Unlike most rooms, which bear a sign reflecting their name, this room was named after a sign. When 614 Stewart Avenue, Lambda Chi Alpha's original chapter house, was under renovation in 1992, Stuart F. “Tripp” Miniman '95 O-1487 retrieved the discarded 614 sign for his own room (this one). In spring of 1997 its then-inhabitant, Douglas J. West '98 O-1534, transferred the sign to the bar and attached a new one of his own design.|
|The SNiche||300||Although one of the smaller rooms in the house, The Niche was as recently as 1991-1992 a triple. This was made possible by means of a high and complex loft which held three single beds, the area below being carved into a closet, three desks, a bookshelf, and a bar. Each occupant had his own niche, though this left the navigable floor space of the room to a mere sliver. The loft was removed over the summer of 1995 to bring the room into compliance with fire codes, and the room has since been a single. Alterations to the sign on the door led the room to become known as The Sniche by the mid-2000s.|
|The Shlop (The Steppe)||302||
The Shlop, to hear tell, was named in protest to the decision to rename Paus M, intertwined with the historic 3rd floor-2nd floor rivalry. Fed up with, as they put it, the “cult of personality” of Stephen DiNardo ’04 “and his 2nd floor minions,” third floor stalwarts Christopher Corona ’05 and Jason Milligan ’05 spearheaded an initiative to rename this Steppe after the least active brother in all of Omicron Zeta: Ben Rosen ’05, nicknamed Shlopo. In typical fashion, Shlopo did not even show up for the house meeting where the motion was debated, but it still passed, with one dissenting vote from House Amateur Linguist Chad Rekasie ’05, who believed the name would be more aptly spelled “Schlop.”
The previous name, The Steppe, was derived from its most prominent feature: a room-sized platform which served as a waterbed frame, requiring one to literally take a step up upon entering the room. A smaller physical step remained when which was emphasized when Art Holmes ’95 O-1485 and Adam Borah ’94 O-1477 installed a hardwood floor the 1992–1993 school year. Both the floor and step in question were removed by the Steppe’s subsequent inhabitant, Jeff “Door” Goldberg '94 O-1483, but the name was retained for several more generations.
|The Pit||304||The Pit, one of the largest rooms in the house, was christened in the fall of 1974, reports Bro. Jeff Stupski ’77, who tripled there with Andrew Kosiak ’77 and Kevin Corbett ’77 from 1974 to 1977. The university was renovating one of the campus lounge and was selling the old furniture for cheap. Arbitrary price tags were placed on other pieces, and the motley collection was carried down to the house by hand and assembled in the room. Neighbor Bob Seiple ’75 quoted a line from an old song: “and in this pit lie”— adding in “three sacks of s__t.”|
|The Stoop||306||The Stoop was named in opposition to the Steppe across the hallway, around 1992. It helped, of course, to stoop before getting into or out of the awkwardly lofted beds.
Like its more iconic second floor doppelganger, The Zoo, The Stoop lost its south window and floor space to accommodate the new west hallway, but has gained a new west window in the process.
|Room 308||308||One of the two third floor rooms in the new west wing, 308 enjoys a high ceiling and triple window, mirroring 309. The west hallway's offset, to accommodate the staircase, affords this room and its neighbor 310 an additional level of privacy. Just around the corner is access to the secondary stair and the entrance to the gym.|
|Room 310||310||Socked away in the southwest corner of the third floor, room 310 may be the most private room in the house. Like its neighbor, it has a high ceiling and pleasant western view, and enjoys a second window facing south.|
The third floor is made possible by the steeply pitched hipped roof and dormers; all the student rooms on this floor have an inclined wall where the interior hugs the roof. The original house also provided an attic area that was used for storage until the 1990s, when fire inspectors deemed it off-limits; access to the attic and roof is now sealed.
The east wing, comprising the former dorm (now rooms 307, 309 and 311) and two second-floor rooms, was built around the time of the house's purchase in 1921 above what is now the Chapter Room. When brothers were assigned rooms, they were used for study and for storing personal effects; all brothers slept in bunks in the dormitory. Changing student lifestyles— and changing city regulations— saw brothers move into their rooms full-time from the 1970s onwards. In doing so, the rooms became more identified with the residents, and in turn the residents took to personalizing them to greater and greater degrees, leading to storied structures like “The Coffin” and “the Cowcatcher” and the successive naming of the rooms. It remains to be seen what names will be applied to the new rooms created in the 2015 expansion.