Claude E. Mitchell Room
East Sitting Room
The Mitchell Room is currently the chapter's game room and, with the Hollengreen Room, one of the two principal rooms for entertaining guests on the first floor of the house. Situated to the left as you enter the front door, the Mitchell Room features the pool table, piano, and serving bar. Four wooden Ionic columns separate the Mitchell Room from the Music Room, where risers afford comfortable seating for watching football games or movies on the large television. The current chapter composite always hangs above the fireplace.
The room is named in honor of Claude E. Mitchell '12 O-1, the very first Lambda Chi Alpha to be initiated at Cornell and among our most active alumni until his death in 1966. Bro. Mitchell's widow contributed to the plaque which now hangs on the east wall.
The east sitting room and music room were built into the original 1896 house, and was used as a parlor and smoking lounge. Over the years it has remained a sitting room and game area, sometimes home to the pool table or foosball, sometimes outfitted with chairs, and often the venue for semi-formals. The room was left largely intact during the 2015 renovation.
A piano has been in this space almost continuously, in one form or another, reflecting the chapter's strong musical tradition. Since 2009, it has been an electronic spinet purchased in consultation with alumni— less effort required to move, and no effort required to tune.